22 Foot Brass Model of the Battleship New Jersey.
We stopped at the Farley Plaza on the Atlantic City Expressway on New Years Day 2020. This 22 Foot long brass model of the battleship New Jersey was in the lobby.
The Battleship New Jersey (BB-62) was one of a class of four battleships built during WW II. The model is 22 feet long and made of brass. This 600 pound model was designed to calculate how radio waves would react with the ship’s design when she was re-commissioned in the 1980’s.
This model was at the Farley Plaza in January 2020.
The actual ship is moored in the Delaware River in Camden New Jersey. Visitors can tour the ship and visit the Camden Aquarium.
Battleships were Capital ships. The main armament was nine 16″ guns in 3 turrets. The two forward turrets are seen above.
During her refit in the 1980’s several of the twin five inch mounts were removed. Tomahawk and Harpoon missiles were fitted as well as 20mm CWIS mounts for anti-aircraft. ,
Below you can see the armored box launchers for the Tomahawk missiles. as well as the Harpoon launchers.
- A story about why the model was created and how it ended up on public display.
- A story about the model and it’s display in the Farley Plaza.
- A Great Sea Song – Barrett’s Privateers by Stan Rogers
- Webcams in Asbury Park, New Jersey
- Webcams in Wildwood, New Jersey
- Webcams in Atlantic City New Jersey
- Refrigeration and Cooking during a power failure
- Webcams in Cape May New Jersey
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1960’s television)
- Use a pipe wrench to straighten bent metal parts