Giant Yellow Tag strikes again – Pork Chops
Once again I got lucky with a Giant Yellow Tag sale. Most stores will discount meats that are approaching their ‘sell by’ date. I ended up with 7 nice thin pork chops for less than six dollars.
I have also been having some luck at Wal-mart. They have similar markdowns. I decided to do them all up at one shot. I rinsed them off, pounded them with a meat mallet. Then added a mix of balsamic vinegar, oil and a small amount of rub. I did get a bit distracted by some shiny objects and left them on a couple of minutes too long. It didn’t ruin them though. I’ve been taking them from the fridge and putting a light coating of honey barbecue sauce on the top. Then I microwave it for 1 minute on high. If they are frozen, I use the auto defrost setting and then microwave them with the barbecue sauce.
Yellow tag meats beat the heck out of discount cat food if you are on a tight budget.
Side note – I learned why my aluminum meat mallet was marked “Do not put in the dishwasher’. Well, I put it in the dishwasher the last time I used it. When I pulled it out of the drawer it had a light coating of black oxidation. It came off easily but I won’t do that again.
- Yellow tag sales at the supermarket
- Hack your lawn tractor so you can actually see after dark.
- Bacon fat as a cheap fire starter.
- Remember mood rings?
- Dang cold froze my gas grill
- Why you should NOT send your resume to every recruiter who sends an email about a position
- 8 Track tapes
- True Story – American troops, Wehrmacht, SS and French Prisoners defending a medieval castle against SS Troops.