At least it was an improvement over doing the wash by hand.
My grandmother had one of these in the 1970’s. The tub was the washer. The top part was a hand cranked or powered wringer. If you never knew the origin of “Don’t get your ___ caught in the ringer” this picture should explain it. The whole process was very manual as you can see in the video below. I came across this while buying a modern dryer at Anchor Appliance in Tuckerton New Jersey (Got a good deal too!!). They had a collection of old appliance but unfortunately they had a fire. I’m not sure if any of the vintage appliances survived or were replaced.
Here is a video on how to use on of these.
- A page by someone who actually uses a wringer washer for their laundry.
- Angels by Within Temptation
- Bacon fat as a cheap fire starter.
- Draining the Swamp like pool
- Starting a woodstove that is installed below grade.
- Diagnosing a burning smell from a Vehicle with a laser thermometer
- When you see something in a museum that you used as a kid.
- Witold Pilecki – He volunteered to enter Aushwitz to gain information about the camp.
- Clifford Stoll vs the KGB hacker – A nova documentary about one of the first people to uncover a hacker