ChrisMendlasCorner.com A Cornucopia of stuff
Last Updated on 9 months by Christopher G Mendla
I have a well worn Sears LT 1000 lawn tractor that I use for grass cutting, hauling firewood, mulching leaves and snow plowing on 2 1/2 acres. Quite often, we get snow before I’m ready to remove the cutting deck. That means that I have to install the plow. The problem is that when the plow is raised, the ground clearance of the plow is about 1/2 inch. That leads to the plow bottoming out on the lawn and leaving huge ugly divots.
I have a well worn Sears LT 1000 lawn tractor that I use for grass cutting, hauling firewood, mulching leaves and snow plowing on 2 1/2 acres. Quite often, we get snow before I’m ready to remove the cutting deck. That means that I have to install the plow. The problem is that when the plow is raised, the ground clearance of the plow is about 1/2 inch.
The front lawn has stinking Norway Maples so there are roots that that can get hit by the plow. In the woods, there are uneven spots, rocks, fallen branches, dead bodies and other hazards (OK, just kidding about the dead bodies). I tried adjusting the clearance but other than playing with the adjustment on the spring, I didn’t see any way to adjust things.
The process was simple:
Total time was about 30 minutes. Cost, less than $10.
Below is a general view of the chain that is passed through the eye bolt and attached back to itself with a quick link.
This is the Quick Link attaching the chain to the Tractor/plow frame. I used an existing hole in the frame.
This shows the overall arrangement
The photo below shows the blade raised. The clearance is actually four inches. Also note the light added to the cowling.
This was my original attempt at raising the blade using a cargo strap. This worked but the chain provided a lot more reliability and is easier to attach and detach.
Here is the plow after the mod. I have enough ground clearance to be able to mulch the leaves and collect firewood without having the plow bottoming out.
There are a couple of drawbacks to this.
Update – Jan 2018. I had to remove the cargo strap because I needed to plow. It was a lot harder to release than I thought it would be. Luckily, the ratchet handle didn’t get my knuckles despite it’s best efforts. We are expecting a couple of inches tomorrow so I was looking for something more temporary. I tried using a bungee to pull the control handle down a bit. That was OK but it made it a little harder getting on and off. I’m still trying to figure out exactly how the lift mechanism works. That sounds goofy but I’m not exactly sure what I can adjust.
Here is the latest effort.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.